Coinbase has outlined on their blog that they will be discontinuing the Toshi app that is currently used for trading and purchasing cryptocurrency on their platform. It is to be replaced with the Coinbase Wallet app. The team say existing Toshi users will see their app updated automatically to the new app soon. Toshi worked as a crypto wallet but mainly as a Dapp explorer which allowed users to browse decentralized applications online, specifically those on the Ethereum Network, and allowed users to run Dapps from that browser.
Coinbase’s announcements can be short on details, as is this one. It seems the app is broadly similar to the Toshi offering.
Concerning info that might be useful to users, Coinbase gave a rundown of the features of the Toshi app which will be continued with the new app:
- Manage ETH and all your ERC-20 tokens (very soon we’ll be supporting BTC, BCH, and LTC).
- Receive airdrops and ICO tokens.
- Buy and store cryptocurrency collectibles — non-fungible tokens that are unique — and use them in games, or trade them on marketplaces.
- Send payments to anyone anywhere, without geographical borders or fees.
- Access leading decentralized exchanges and relayers to buy and sell tokens.
- Explore the full universe of third-party Dapps that enable everything from taking out a loan or lending to others on the blockchain to earning crypto by answering questions, performing services, or completing tasks.
Coinbase has cemented themselves as a giant in the crypto industry, looking to innovate in many directions. The Dapp market is booming if still in its early stages, with platforms like Ethereum and NEO leading much of the progress. The Toshi app seemed to be well received.
In the announcement, they also hinted at their focus on becoming an identity management platform, which they discussed strategically in an announcement earlier today.
Coinbase Unveils Coinbase Wallet, Cryptocurrency Wallet and Browser was originally found on [blokt] – Blockchain, Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency News.