Gold has edged lower in the Wednesday session, after posting sharp losses on Tuesday. In North American trade, the spot price for one ounce of gold is $1188.72, down 0.27% on the day. On the release front, ADP nonfarm payrolls jumped 230 thousand in September, crushing the estimate of 185 thousand. There was more positive news from the services sector, as ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI climbed to 61.6, above the forecast of 58.0 points. On Thursday, the U.S releases unemployment claims.
The U.S releases a host of employment numbers this week, kicking off with ADP nonfarm payrolls on Wednesday. The sparkling reading of 230 thousand marked the strongest increase in private sector jobs since March. On Thursday, we’ll get a look at unemployment claims, followed by three key indicators on Friday – wage growth, nonfarm payrolls and the unemployment rate. With the markets expecting a drop in wage growth and nonfarm payrolls, traders should be prepared for some volatility in gold prices.
Euro jumps as Italy revises budget plans
A tempest in a cappuccino cup or mama mia, here we go again?
ADP employment increased by 230,000 in September
Wednesday (October 3)
- 8:15 ADP Nonfarm Employment Change. Estimate 185K. Actual 230K
- 9:45 US Final Services PMI. Estimate 52.9. Actual 53.5
- 10:00 US ISM Nonfarm Manufacturing PMI. Estimate 58.0. Actual 61.6
- 10:30 US Crude Oil Inventories. Estimate 1.1M
- 14:00 US FOMC Member Lael Brainard Speaks
- 14:15 US FOMC Member Loretta Mester Speaks
- 16:00 US Fed Chair Powell Speaks
Thursday (October 4)
- 8:30 US Unemployment Claims. Estimate 214K
*All release times are DST
*Key events are in bold
XAU/USD for Wednesday, October 3, 2018
XAU/USD October 3 at 12:20 DST
Open: 1191.82 High: 1192.59 Low: 1184.63 Close: 1188.72
XAU/USD edged higher the Asian session but gave up these gains in European trade. The pair has posted slight losses in North American trade
- 1170 is providing support
- 1204 is the next resistance line
- Current range: 1170 to 1204
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 1170, 1146 and 1115
- Above: 1204, 1220, 1236 and 1261
This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.